Athlete Relocation and Children
A professional athlete is traded or signs a free agent contract to play with another teams; a typical scenario in professional sports, one that happens almost daily across this country. The athlete may not be totally prepared for the relocation process, but it is something they have thought about, and they have always known it was a possibility. If they are married, the same can be said for their wife.
But what about the children? What does relocation mean to the kids? How hard is it for them?
If you have children, and you are facing an athlete relocation in the near future, you might consider these five tips for moving with kids:
- Tell them immediately. It is very important that your children know of the move as soon as possible so that they can begin to deal with the upheaval in their lives.
- Get them involved in the process. In other words, give them some ownership in the move. Give them duties to do. Discuss what their new home will be like, and all of the new things they will experience because of the relocation. Ask them how they are feeling and allow them to share their fears with you.
- Try to time the move for the beginning or middle of the school year. Many parents think moving during the summer is best, but that is the hardest time for children to meet their future schoolmates.
- Allow them to say goodbye. Whether it be by writing notes, or having a goodbye party, allow your kids to have some closure with their friends.
- Be patient. This is a major event in the lives of your children, and the transition will not happen quickly. Give them time to heal and give them time to acclimate to the new lifestyle. Continually discuss it all with them and again, allow them to own their feelings.
Sports Relocation, Inc. Sports Relocation, Inc assist players/coaches of all professional sports leagues including the NBA, WNBA, NFL, MLB, NHL, and entertainers relocate nationwide by servicing their Real Estate & Relocation needs. Ikem Chukumerije is licensed to practice real estate in New York, California, Nevada, Florida, & Georgia. Sports Relocation, Inc operates nationwide and provides elite athlete relocation services in all 50 states and internationally.