Major League Baseball Important Winter Dates
The NFL Trade Deadline came and went without so much as a sniff at a major trade, so now we turn our attention to Major League Baseball, where there promises to be much more activity in the month of December. Historically, MLB is quite active during the winter leading up to the Spring Training start in February. With a number of new general managers and more new managers, this should prove to be an interesting off-season for MLB.
Here are a few dates worth noting:
- November 18-19 Owner’s meetings in Dallas
- November 20th Deadline for teams to set their 40-man rosters for the Rule 5 Draft
- December 2 Deadline for teams to tender a contract offer to their pre-arbitration and arbitration-eligible players. Those who do not receive a tender become free agents.
- December 7-10 the Winter Meetings in Nashville. Plan on quite a few trades and free agent signings during these days.
- December 10th the Rule 5 Draft. Any players taken in this draft must stay on the new team’s active 25-man roster for the entire 2016 season or they will go back through the waiver system and be offered back to their former team.
It all starts in two weeks and that means a whole lot of athlete relocation about to happen. Stay tuned!
. Sports Relocation, Inc assists players/coaches of all professional sports leagues including the NBA, WNBA, NFL, MLB, NHL, and entertainers relocate nationwide by servicing their Real Estate & Relocation needs. Ikem Chukumerije is licensed to practice real estate in New York, California, Nevada, Florida, & Georgia. Sports Relocation, Inc operates nationwide and provides elite athlete relocation services in all 50 states and internationally.